Thursday, June 29, 2006

Nobody's Got No Class.

Sorry for the gap between entries. Have been enjoying life a lot lately. New job, PRIDE week, new (old) boyfriend, friends visiting from the UK. At least I am getting fodder for more blogging.
Anyway, all my joy and pleasure has been tempered by the flagrant lack of manners and common courtesies demonstrated by society nowadays. I don’t mean to get on a soap box here, but if everyone were a little more aware of those around them, I think we would all get along famously. As it is however, people seem to live in little bubbles and think their actions don’t impact those around them.

Last week during my yoga class, I had everyone stretching, lunging and reaching into the perfect Warrior I posture when I heard a cell phone ring. It was muffled so I assumed it was coming from outside the room. But then one of my warriors dropped, started to dig through her gym bag and pull out her phone. “She must be so embarrassed” I thought to myself. Surely she will shut it off (an oversight for not doing so in the first place I was sure), flush red in the face and mouth an “I’m sorry” to the class.

But no. She answered it, had a conversation and then dropped the phone back in her bag. Oh my. I resisted the urge to run over and kick her in the first chakra, cleared my mind and went back to teaching. Not ten minutes later her phone rang again and we had an encore performance. A couple students muttered “talk about rude” and the like. She at least left the room to have her second conversation.

That same night I was giddy with anticipation of going to see “The Last Night of the Proms” at the TSO. Lord Fauntleroy and Mr. Underpants had agreed to go with me and while our seats were not top drawer, they captured the festive mood, joyous music and cell phone rings.

That’s right! Smack in the middle of Rule Britannia! Mortified was I. At least this person seemed to realize they were caught with their pants down (something I usually enjoy myself) and mumbled an apology to all those in Roy Thompson Hall.

There was also someone somewhere who at some point felt it would be okay to carry on a conversation with their neighbor. I guess they didn’t understand that the building was designed to carry sound.

Oh how I long for the days were people keep their elbows off the table, eat with a knife and fork instead of fingers and phones were attached to a wall.

5 Comments:

Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

When I saw the first Lord of the Rings movie, dude's cell phone went off behind me right during the super loud snowy mountain scene.

Dude kept screaming, "talk louder, I can't hear you!" pissing us all off super good.

But still, that doesn't hold a candle to the woman whose phone went off, three times, during a funeral. And, she took every single call.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well darling if you recall Randy's cell went off during grandma's funeral and he would have been dead if he had taken the call- i gave him a look that would melt stone and he quickly turned the f******* thing off- how rude indeed. it used to be the same thing in a store or whatever if you were talking to a clerk and they blew you off when the phone rang and started talking on the phone- believe me my staff had firm instuctions either to ignore the phone or put the person on hold- preferably forever- if a real live person was in front of them
karen

5:39 AM  
Blogger Robert Mitchell L.L. said...

Cell phones and movies are no good. I don't get it. Do you not want to get the most for your $12.95? I guess people think they are multi tasking. I had the same experience when I took my niece and nephew to the Grinch. Bad movie granted, but even after I told her to go outside she just sat there and talked away. As for the funeral thing, I am not at all shocked. People don't dress for them so why follow any of the other protocol. I think we should tell them no crustless sandwiches for you!!!!! A phone went off at Grandma's funeral. I probably couldn't hear it over all my crying. When I die, suits and ties and no cell phones!!!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Great Uncle calls those rude people "Eneffseeohsee," short for "No fucking class or culture"

6:50 AM  
Blogger glasshill said...

"kick her in the first chakra" oh you should have...
I can't imagine.

I now have one - mainly for the kids school calls (you son has knocked out his front teeth) and they now babysit themselves (she's not being nice to me!) and forgot to silence it before a meeting - it rang - thought I would die - silenced it and apologized to everyone in the room. I WAS mortified.

so I am one of the guilty ones...

and do NOT speak of your funeral!

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home