Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zombie vs. Zombie

I need to write this now as I fear I will not be able to tomorrow or will, in hindsight, not think the following idea as brilliant as I do now.

For my birthday, Kitkat, via the gift of a DVD box set, introduced me to the most delicious new show called “The Walking Dead”. In case the title isn’t explicit enough, it is about zombies, so you will likely be into or not. I don’t think there is an ‘on the fence’ option when it comes to such genres.

But, if you like cliffhangers par excellance, non-stop action, witty one liners and the odd beau hunk thrown in for good measure, it should appeal to you; if you can get over the ever so slightly gory bits. Emphasis on the bits. And the gory for that matter.

Tragically, season 1 only has 6 episodes and I have amazingly been able to resist watching them back-to-back. One, two and three were viewed in one sitting and actually, but not surprisingly, kept me up at night. Not due to the fear factor, although I did barricade my door that night, but one nagging question would not let me sleep.

I won’t spoil it for you, but my question, which will make sense if you watch, is this ~ why didn’t he checked to see if there was gas in the tank? And I mean tank in the army, big gun, bang bang sense not as in the gas tank of your motorcar.

Episodes five and six are all that remain (don’t even get me started on four, absolute delectable carnage) so Kitkat suggested we watch them while indulging in zombie cocktails. My contribution will be risotto shaped to look like brains. What could possibly go wrong?

I had heard of the Zombie cocktail but did not know it was made of fruit juices, liqueurs, and various rums, so named for its perceived effects upon the drinker.

Invented by Donn Beach who concocted it one afternoon for a friend who had dropped by his restaurant before flying to San Francisco (I want to know if he was the pilot). The friend left after having consumed three of them. He returned several days later to complain that he had been turned into a zombie for his entire trip. Its smooth, fruity taste works to conceal its extremely high alcoholic content and that restaurants limit their customers to two Zombies apiece. Concealed or not, that sucker is going down.

According to the original recipe, there is the equivalent of 7.5 ounces of alcohol (my kind of drink) in a single Zombie; this is the same as drinking three and a half cocktails made with a fairly generous 2 ounces of alcohol per drink. The restaurant limit of two Zombies, therefore, would be the equivalent of 7 regular cocktails such as a Manhattan or Scotch on the rocks (mmmmm, maybe not my kind of drink).

Walking dead or no, Kitkat’s payment for this little endeavor is to go and see Scream 4 with me since IronMan, along with everyone else, doesn’t have the guts. Hee hee. See what I did there?

1 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

I don't find the Scream movies scary at all, as the all star leads never die, so their is never any tension. You're on bitch!

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home