Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rote Grutze!

You might well be forgiven for saying "God bless you" or "Gusundeit" after reading the post title, but no need. It's not a sneeze and I certainly hope it doesn't taste like one! Probably as much as Kitkat and Fauntleroy as they will be eating it tomorrow night.

Last weekend, Lonsdale produced it's last 6 cups of red currants and having made a batch of jam with the first, struggled with ideas for the end of the season bounty. I've tried two variations of red currant pie and both were runny, sour messes. 3 jars of jam is more than enough as it's not exactly my favourite but does look nice on the table at Christmas.

As mother nature seems hell bent against my getting culture in the form of Shakespeare in the Park, raining me out yet again this week, I got myself to thinking about a sans picnic dinner for the boys and what else I could do with my little red harvest. Three spoons and big tub of red currants not being an option.

Deep in the recesses of my mind, I remembered a Martha Steward dessert composed of the red globes of sour goodness and after an ask of the Google, the idea of rote grutze to round out our Thursday night meal was born.

This German dessert is apparently very good for you if a little on the sour side. Not exactly selling features for a dessert in my estimation but one must try what one must.

Six cups of red currants takes a LONG time to pick. Especially when the base of the bush is home to a snake and the mosquitoes were out in force. Luckily neither of those ended up in the pot and now four dishes are a chillin' in the fridge for tomorrow night's festivities.

If all else fails, the dollop of whipped cream will become a bowlful and we'll just be done with red currants for now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home