Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Knight and His Steed

Today I discovered yet another reason why Mayor Ford needs to stop his “war on bikes.” I know he feels the car is under attack, but I have to say cyclists are nicer than drivers. At least Chris, my new hero, is.

As I sped home tonight, I, King of the flat tire, got yet another, you guessed it, flat tire. I was at Queen’s Quay and Bathurst, much too far to walk home and unappealing distant from my usual flat tire repair destination, Mountain Equipment Co-op. After a few texts with IronMan, it was determined that Duke’s was also an option.

Either I hoofed it North and West or North and East but neither was eagerly anticipated. But move I must, so I started up Bathurst. I hadn’t gone 50 meters when someone asked what size I needed.

Clearly, this flat tire had thrown me off my game as I couldn’t think of one decent comeback to such an obvious volley. The young lanky blond lad asked if my tire was a 32 / 320 (or some such thing) and I had no idea what he was talking about. He set aside he bike and started to rummage in his backpack.

I then remembered that I did have a spare tube in my pannier sack. I had purchased it a few flats back with the idea that I would take a course, or at least watch a youtube video, on how to change a tire. Bike maintenance courses are offered for FREE at a couple places in the city and you’d think I would have done something by now. But you would be wrong.

Mother, you would be proud, I finally learned! Chris, my new hero, said today was the day I was going to learn something new. I was hoping for a more exciting rendezvous, but at least I know how to change a flat now. Flip went the bike, off came the wheel and out came the little plastic wedge thing you need to remove the tire.

He had me check the rim for glass, a nail or whatever (dodging what looked like a patch of dog poop) had caused the ‘pop’. He offered handy tips like partially inflating the tube before putting it on the rim but emphasized the importance of letting the air back out before putting the tire back in place. One wants to avoid a pinch. He didn’t actually say “one”, it just sounds better in my story.

I was on my way in less than 10 minutes, smiling all the way home. Scarlett was right after all, you can depend on the kindness of strangers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well finally you learned how to do that as you are on it every day. Thank you Chris and am just glad you are OK, my love. You are both my heros.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Blair said...

What a nice story. You should have got his contact info and baked him a pie!

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home