Monday, August 01, 2011

Heat and Calories

As much as I adore food and indulging at every opportunity, this hot weather has certainly put a damper on my appetite. Summer activities have also curbed some of my usual routine. It may sound simple, but roller blading, running and recreational patio hoping have put quite a damper on things like reading.

My apres work routine is a selection of last fall's pickling endeavours - beets, onions, beans and asparagus - some cheese, all washed down with a glass (or two) of Pernod. This is also my chance to chat with my neighbours and read the Steig Larsson trilogy. I must admit I rather like them more than I had anticipated. The books that is, not my neighbours.

One thing that has piled up though are my Real Simple & Living magazines. LSC also gave me a stack of Hello Canada and Kitkat the GQ with Captain America and that put me even further behind schedule.

But one long weekend, a jumbo umbrella for shade and a pitcher of iced tea was all I need to flip my way to the bottom. Back to my earlier food fascination comment, I found myself overly excited at the July Real Simple cover ~ 3 Ingredient Recipes. Fast, Fresh, Delicious.

Further froth and foam exuded forth when they quoted Nora Ephron on page 2. "I don't think any day is worth living without thinking about what you're going to eat next at all times". A woman after my own heart indeed. I could hear Papi cheering "YAY!" as I read.

Imagine then my disappointment when, on page 117, in the Health Guide that six top health experts recommend the following for "good tasting staples and snacks":

• A SMALL spoonful of almond butter (picture shows about 1 tsp.)
• Frozen grapes to stave off an ice cream craving
• Sardines

Now I know, Nora is not one of the purported experts but something here just doesn't jive. It's a bit like picking up Martha's annual Halloween guide and finding out how to decorate for Easter.

I will admit that some of the 3 ingredient recipes were indeed tempting and they shall be taste tested. But Real Simple, come on, when you show TWO of your three ingredient dishes on the same plate it adds up to SIX. Chicken with lemons and olives + arugula salad with white beans and pesto......SIX!

Anyway, heat or not, sardines and a teaspoon of almond butter are not things I look forward to.....ever! But here is a tried and true Nigella Lawson recipe that 3 people can easily handle any evening of summer. Even though it says "serves 8 - 10".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home