Wednesday, July 06, 2011

So Confusing!

My whirlwind of entertainment continued this evening as I had a private show with Hugh Jackman. Everyone else in the theatre was non-existent and he was singing just for, and to, moi!

First a Happy 38th Birthday to my friend the Maltese Falcon, you are not having a mid-life crisis, you will have a baby and you will find a man. It just won’t be Hugh Jackman. Or will it? It’s all too much.

We are just home from his one Man Show and Kitkat, Kerouac, Baco Noir and IronGirl, hold on to your hats as you are in for one hell of a treat! Well maybe not IronGirl so much as she likes neither boys nor musicals but you will fall under the influence of the energy I am sure!

Mr. Jackman obviously has ample equipment to play on my team, and in my dreams, hopes, prayers, voodoo doll experiments, Ouija board games and fantasies he is an all star slugger. But I must admit he has now left me dazed and confused.

He had me hook, line and sinker with the first number but then almost lost me on the second. His rendition of One Night Only flanked by two, how shall I put this, beards? Did not sit well at all and I was wondering where his velour tracksuit was and if I had been teleported to Las Vegas some how.

After that ever so minor blip, it was smooth sailing! He had me crying with a story about his dad (it is one year tomorrow that my dad passed away so it was even a bit more of a blub than usual) and, yes that is twice in one night, the ukulele version of over the rainbow.

He had us laughing with his video clips, jokes, audience participation and quick wit. Surely a man that can do all that while singing and dancing must at least occasionally, well, you know, dip his toe in the other pool.

But then he tried to go all girl on us and came out dressed up as, and singing a la, Peter Allen and all I could think was “damn, that is one straight dude”. Note, when he mentions he won an Oscar, you bitches better clap.

A few spectacular numbers later and he was back out in his regular garb high kicking like a Radio City Rockette and I was thinking “weeeeeeeeeeeellllll”. His ode to the great Musicals ~ Singing in the Rain, Sing Sing Sing etc. ~ also added a tick under the “my team” column.

Even if he is straight, not that there’s anything wrong with that, per se, he is one talented man. And oh what a man.

If you don’t already know, it is a 90 minute show (almost two hours really) and there is no intermission. I suggest a couple Queen Mother gin martinis before heading to the theatre. You don’t need the buzz but it helps Hugh keep his attention on you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

So did you wear your Wolverine t-shirt honey?

6:23 AM  
Blogger Robert Mitchell L.L. said...

You know I did! And it was a hit....just not with Hugh. Although he says Wolverine A LOT.
Mind you , he can say anything he wants!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home