Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed...

It was a gorgeous fall day, windy and crisp. I had been cooped up studying as the wind howled around the building. I could see the waves crashing out on the lake and decided it was time for a closer look and a break from the books. A toque on my head, mittens by mom on my hands and a pot of tea in my belly for warmth, I headed out. It was one of those bracing winds that every once in a while actually stopped me in my tracks. Fab! At one point a leaf smacked me in the forehead so hard it hurt! A squirrel probably threw it to exact revenge for Skippy’s treatment on Halloween.

Walking along the waters edge, I couldn’t help but notice hundreds of ducks and geese riding the waves as if it were part of their daily routine. I guess it is. It’s not like they have places to go and get warm. Well they do actually, it’s called an oven. Orange sauce anyone? Silly birds, I would have headed south long ago. I mean with a tail wind like that they could have been south of the Mason Dixon Line by dinner.

I digress. It was such a pleasant walk that I just kept on walking. When I reached the tip of this little peninsula, it occurred to me that drinking an entire pot of tea before a LONG excursion was probably not such a good idea. But as I was out in nature, I answered its call. A quick glance around told me I was alone so I found what shelter I could. Every once in a while we all need to be reminded of certain sage advice. I am going to share some with you now – don’t pee into the wind! And while I’m on the subject, don’t spit in it either. I was reminded that such practices, even when dictated by our natural instincts, are foolish. Ahhh, the folly of youth. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home