Friday, January 05, 2007

Dream Girls vs. Dream Team

I love Canada and am very proud to be Canadian. I realize how lucky I am to have been born in such a country. A few of the things I like most about Canada can be called stereotypical – our great outdoors, our multi-cultural non-melting pot and the friendly reputation we have around the world. I even like the passion Canadians have for our national sport – even though I don’t understand it.

Today for example, I unexpectedly (but not unwillingly) become witness to this spectacle. I went to the gym over lunch and watched Canada’s Junior Mini AAABC Hockey Team shoot its way to victory over Russia. At least I think they won. I saw them score three nets within about 5 minutes of each other. It is nets right? Or is it goals? Hoops? Hole-in-one? This all happened in the first quarter. It is quarter isn’t it? Or is it periods? Half? Innings? They really should just call them ‘Act 1, Act 2’ etc. and any breaks ‘Intermission’ – it would make things so much easier and maybe even attract a few theatre type people.

I had my iPod mini on shuffle but neither Marilyn singing “Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend” nor Rufus performing “Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk” were any match for the noise each goal generated.

Every stationary bike, treadmill and stair-master facing the televisions was in use. Some people were using stability balls as seats. I caught myself shaking my head as I do not understand the attraction. I do however appreciate a person’s passion for something. I searched my brain for the last thing that made me get that excited. Food and giggitty giggitty aside, the movie Dream Girls popped into my head. We saw it a few nights ago and every time Effie hit one home we applauded and screeched “you go girl” with glee.

It actually brought a smile to my face that everyone in that room had something they could get so excited about.

The only downside to the broadcast was the TSESPN interview with Stephen Harper during the intermission. I have to admit that, for me anyway, listening to Harper is like watching a car accident is for others. I simply can’t help myself. I love to hear the next silly thing come out of his mouth. I was pleased however, that he used a hockey term I had actually heard before.

The announcer asked him what he thought about the shot-up between Canada and the US that decided the last game. He said something about players that can “thread the needle”. Who knew that hockey players are so well known for their sewing skills? I also use the term in teaching yoga. Man, get me a cup and put me on the ice! I am ready to play!

Scratch that. Get me a cup and put some ice in it. Along with some vodka and olives. Getting slammed into any sort of board (headboard aside – hee hee) is not my idea of a good time.

1 Comments:

Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

So when's the next party!!!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home