Saturday, October 21, 2006

Only in Hamilton eh? Pity.

I have no desire to go to Jamaica. The government won’t allow “gay” cruise lines to dock there and, in general, they do not like the homosexuals. A few friends that I know have gone and said that it is stunning. And I must admit, from the pictures I have seen that the scenery is gorgeous – especially the waterfalls. I am a sucker for waterfalls. Maybe that is why I went to Niagara Falls three times this summer. No. That’s not it. I like those falls you find in a forest or jungle. There is something so peaceful about them.

Anyway, where I am going with this, is that a trip to Jamaica is not necessary living in southwestern Ontario. Sure sure, the weather is not as hot, but the places you can find are equally stunning. Even in Hamilton. Yes, Hamilton.

The Monday after Thanksgiving, Lord Fauntleroy, KitKat, The Boyfriend and I packed a picnic lunch (scratch that, picnic feast) and headed out for our annual fall hike. Rattlesnake point was our stomping ground the past two years and His Lordship thought a change of scenery would be nice. So, we all pilled into Lucy and headed to Hamilton. I have to say I was a bit skeptical about the entire thing but went with the majority and man am I glad I did!


When we arrived, the park was overrun with people and we were all a bit disappointed. Being the hearty homos we are however, we were determined to make the best of it and set out on the trail. The further we walked, the thinner we got (we worked up quite a sweat) and so did the crowds. As the day wore on, our bellies started asking for food (especially mine after my annual effort to help mother nature along by knocking down dead trees) and upon our return to Lucy were shattered to learn the best picnic spot was back along the trail.


Not wanting to eat in a less than idyllic setting though, we grabbed coolers, baskets, blankets and booze and hiked back along the trail. Once a suitable table was found, we feasted like ravenous dogs. Ravenous dogs with manners of course, but, well you get the picture.


We had a hearty sausage and kale soup (thanks for the recipe mom!) and duck rillets to start.
Then there was a delicious potato salad (lovely KitKat, lovely!) and the most gorgeous stuffed chicken breasts from Fauntleroy. We also managed to consume an entire pumpkin pie, three bottles of sparkling water and two bottles of wine.

Keep in mind this was the day after the boyfriend (that boy makes a GREAT turkey) and I had 10 people for thanksgiving. That too was a feast to be reckoned with. Mushroom and leak soup, baked sweet potatoes, turkey with wild rice stuffing, a mixture of baby carrots, zucchini and beans, mashed potatoes, asian coleslaw with pears, gravy, cranberries and of course two kinds of pumpkin pie – delicious. Our goal was to work all that off with our hike. Instead we came home to a fridge full of leftovers and added more to the pile. Gotta love the leftovers though.

This is a great tradition that I hope to continue with these wonderful folks I am honoured to call friends. Until next year boys! (Or next Thursday at least).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should attempt a winter picnic one day!


b.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Robert Mitchell L.L. said...

I'm all for it....fewer people for sure

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear and I wanted to come along.

5:08 AM  
Blogger glasshill said...

1. I have been to Jamaica (ironicaly on my honeymoon) and while beautiful, I was bothered greatly by the contrast of wealth along side poverty, I would not be able to enjoy another trip there, and now that you've told me their stance on homosexuals - forget it.

2. You guys are so flamming gay, I just love ya! what a picnic!! I pack sandwiches when I remember to bring food.

3. I'm with anonymous - take me take me!!!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home