Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Thank you!

I have been holding off on this next blog entry as it is a bit of a milestone and I am not quite sure what to write about. 100 entries! Snaps for me. I held off, in part, hoping to hit 1000 “profile views” so I could have a 2-4-1 celebration. That number however seems to be stuck at 953. Damn you 953, damn you to H-E-double hockey sticks! I guess maybe it is time for a blog overhaul – new picture, new background, new format etc. But oh dear, that sounds like such a lot of work. Maybe just a new picture, I seem to have a few about.

What I do hope is that LightandFlaky has put at least a few smiles on a few faces and put some good food on a few tables. I look back at the entry that started it all and still laugh at the fact that I thought I could flush a peach down the toilet.

I feel compelled to temporarily digress from my usual theme and get serious for a moment. Seeing how I died yesterday and everything. Well, my namesake anyway. Driving home I turned on my old faithful 680 News to hear “….dead is Corporal Robert Mitchell and Sergeant Paul Gillam…”. Really? A Corporal? Don’t they have a title more becoming, like Lord Corporal or His Majesty Corporal? I didn’t even know I was in the military. Let alone in Afghanistan (as the reporter would later disclose).

Not having been in a uniform since air cadets, and it is true what they say about a man in uniform, I paused for a moment and started to think about our boys overseas. Harper/Chreitien and my opinions aside, this, of all things, seemed to hit home. I heard it again and again last night and this morning and it was with some relief that the middle name, (when finally revealed) was at least different.

There is, however, a grave marker in a Fergus cemetery with the name “Robert William Mitchell” so if anyone wants to sell me one at a boot sale, you know where to go find it. The dates are a little off, but that is what liquid paper is for.

I guess where I am going with this, not in a very straight line mind you, is that we here in Canada have it great. Not good or pretty good, but GREAT. Referring to another entry, we have food, pants and have not been caught on camera picking our noses. So, thank you Corporal Mitchell and Sergeant Gillam for trying to give others in the world the same freedoms we Canadians enjoy.

Happy 100 Lightandflaky!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lance Morrison said...

And thank YOU, Robert William Mitchell, for giving us all something to smile about.

Love and Light,
L

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was right on about our troops overseas. Although I am a bit skeptical about the mission itself, and the enemy they face, I do believe in our military and applaud what they are trying to achieve for the Afghan people.
Love ya
Momma
Happy Anniversary

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blog-a-versary honey! It's always a treat to read your thoughts and ideas - and although there may be many Robert Mitchells in the world, you are by far the model from which all future ones should be made!

love ya kiddo,

Blair
xox

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home