Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Radio Is So Gay!

Do you ever have those moments when you are driving and there is nothing on the radio but you don’t feel like listening to a CD either? I found myself in such a predicament just the other day. What is a boy to do aside from hitting the shuffle button? As the dial went from Z103.5 to 103.9, my musical thirst was quenched.

Good old Kylie was belting out ‘Love at First Sight’. When she finished, Madonna started to sing ‘Jump’ and then came Avril Lavigne yelling out “Hey hey, you you”! I had to ask myself what rock I had been living under to not know of the existence of such a station? When the DJ said “Pride Radio” I almost slammed my pink Mary Kay Cadillac into a guardrail!

Panic not dears, there was no chipping of the nails. Again and again I heard Pride radio this and Pride radio that and let me tell you it was music to my ears! Apparently we have had our own station for almost a month. Clearly my address with Etobicoke Lakeshore Gay and Lesbian and select Hetero Friends Society is sorely out of date as I received no notification of its launch!

Sadly, much like the demographic it represents, its power lay within the 416 area of South Western Ontario. On the way to work, as I roll off the 401 and hit Mississauga Road, the reception starts to break up. Apparently there are no sexuals of the homo variety outside of the 905. And those that live there are full of static. But at least it is a start.

I have to say though that some of the programming leaves me scratching my noodle. On the hour there is the usual news (with an extra long – hee hee, I said extra long - entertainment report) and weather. For some reason, they also include a sports update. Ummm, hello? Did you research your demographic at all? Unless gardening and the art of mixing cocktails are soon deemed sports, I think you can drop that little segment. I guess the lesbians will enjoy the updates on women’s curling, golf and hockey. Well, there’s no accounting for taste I suppose.

If you insist on keeping it, at least include interesting things like men’s gymnastics, diving, swimming, water-polo and the like. Of course, without the visual, even those are a bit of a stretch. But if you mention a pummel horse or Speedo every now and again, we can fill in the blanks. Do we really care how many nets the Raptors win or baskets the Maple Leafs get?

I just want to say welcome to 103.9 and you have a new found loyal listener! Every time I hear you in Lucy, the pride flag on her buttocks glow a little bit brighter.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well now that was a delight to read ... well done

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We too just found out about this wonderful radio station.. it is a first step to the homos taking over

love
gal in the dollhouse

5:00 AM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

I always thought the gayest song ever was Duran Duran's Reach Up for the Sunrise, or whatever it's really called. That song always makes me feel like Pride Week.

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home