Sunday, March 08, 2009

40 year old teeth

I’m not even 40 yet and things are starting to fall apart! Last Thursday I found myself supine in the dentist’s chair. The hygienist made a comment about my receding gum line and that it was rather pronounced on one tooth. “Yes” I said “I am trying to keep my gums in line with my hair you see”. She didn’t seem all that amused but for 8:00 AM I thought it rather sharp.

A she scraped and cleaned comments were made about general wear and tear on my teeth but nothing major. I know I sometimes grind my teeth at night and at one point requested a mouth guard but Dr. Lee said it was not necessary.

How tough economic times can change a person’s tune! After the cleaning, the dentist usually comes in, pokes around my mouth with her tool (yuck!), tells me I have a cavity (or one that needs to be replaced) and Bob’s your uncle.

This time though, it seem that each time her little metal digger thing (that is the technical term in case you did not know) she asked her cohort to mark in my chart that something was cracked, soft, had fractures, chipped and any number of other things you don’t want to hear about in reference to your teeth! Including the potential for a gum graft! IronGirl had that done not so long ago and let me tell you “no thank you”.

Now, that is not as strong as the “no thank you” I have for dentures, but it is right up there. Bottom line is I am going back to have two cavities replaced (silver lining, one is the LAST silver one I have, so all my teeth will be nice and white) and another visit to have a little chip evened out. Thank the Lord for group benefits!

On my way out the receptionist asked if she would like me to have her book a consult with the graft guy or if I would do it myself. I will take care of that myself thank you very much….after I get home from France!

This experience does not have me looking forward to my visit with Dr. P. As I am turning 40, I think it time to start going for an annual physical. You know, just to make sure everything is just as it should be. I expect the blood and urine test will be fine but if the dentist found all those things wrong with my teeth, I have to say I am not looking forward to the “turn your head and cough” test.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait ... the "turn your head and cough" test is a medical test?

My priest said it was to make sure i wasn't possessed by demons ... oh dear

7:42 PM  
Blogger Blair said...

My Rabbi said the same thing, even though I tried to tell him I wasn't even Jewish.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to worry until you have to hop up on the bench and hear a rubber glove snap behind you. Okay, so my doctor is UGLY...leave me alone!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh darling----40 is NOTHING----my gums are receding but my teeth are still firm at 66----however your grandpa, come to think of it, for the amusement of his girls was known to pluck out perfect lovely teeth because of some gum thing---hhhmmmm. whatever do they find from the old cough and turn your head? of course I don't have balls literally but figuratively --YES

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home