Sunday, December 06, 2009

Odds and Sods

Well hello strangers! I know I have been delinquent in my blogging but I have been mucho busy! Christmas is here and there are trees to decorate, garlands to trim, lights to be hung and presents to be wrapped! And now that the above is complete, I find I have to write and mention two holiday related stories.

First, IronMan and I lost our Black Friday cherries as we headed to New York (state, not city) for some shopping. It was mad busy and exhausting. After no sleep for 33 hours we conked out and slept for 14 hours! We just laid down for a nap, honestly, and then zzzzzzzzzzzz. Best sleep ever though I have to say.

Around hour 26 we stopped at the International House of Pancakes for a much needed sit and some energy. Apparently many shoppers had the same idea as the place was packed. Right across the street was our next target, a Target department store. Luckily, the line we saw at 4:00 AM was gone and we walked right in.

As I waited for IronMan to visit the WC, I couldn’t help but notice a woman walking into the store with her kids. Now, before I go any further, I have to clarify that I am NOT a parent and therefore have a policy that I will NEVER give advice on how to raise kids. However……

I don’t know how long her son had been up or how many stores he had been dragged too, but let’s just say he was cranky and was letting people know it. Yes, he was crying and yes I, like most people in the immediate area, wanted it to stop. BUT, does slapping your kid in the head and yelling “stop that crying” really make them stop crying?

Again, not a parent, but I’m pretty sure that smacking someone, of any age, is not a good way to stop them from crying. Laughing, smiling or having a good time, yes, but crying, no. A brave Target employee started to approach the woman but she turned and made a quick exit, stage left. I think someone will be getting coal from Santa.

Next, as I sat flipping through Food & Drink magazine, preparing for a little get together, I stumbled across some yummy little recipes smattered throughout the glossy pages – Sticky date pudding with Fin du Monde Caramel Sauce, Butter Poached Lobster, Brandied Chicken Liver Pate and Gin Mopped Salmon bites were just a few things to get my mouth watering.

Once again, not a parent, but maybe a couple of the above recipes would help the kid stop crying or the mother hitting. I’m just saying. In fact, forget the food and just go with the Brandy and Gin.

Anyway, one of the recipes and yes it’s an advert, but still…..goes like this:
Take 2 LARGE (of course) containers of KFC mashed potatoes, add 2 HEAPING tablespoons of sour cream, 4 slices of PRE-COOKED bacon, salt and pepper to taste and chopped chives for garnish.

Thank God for the chives, for a second there, I was worried this was going to be unhealthy. We had pre-cooked bacon when we were camping this year, and, ummm, gross.

Really? Has it come to this? Are mashed potatoes that hard to make? If you get new potatoes you don’t even need to peel them. Call them “rustic” and everyone will think you so clever. What’s next, buy a bucket of chicken and stitch it back together for your holiday turkey?

Shame on you! I think the name of the magazine needs to change to "& Drink" because that my dear, is not FOOD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home