Thursday, May 13, 2010

How do you like me now?

Okay, so it wasn'tthe FIRST impression I made, but the first day on my new job did not go as well as one would have hoped. Thankfully it did not happen the day of the interview, or who knows where I would be!

Morning was all good. Met people, charmed them to death of course, cause that’s what me does don’t you know? My new boss even offered to take me for lunch! As it was raining, I grabbed my trusty Harrods’s umbrella and we hit the street.

In an effort to control my rain shield, as it is such a blustery day, I had the arm wresting on my shoulder and the ribs of it were actually rubbing against the back of my head. Arriving at the restaurant, I went to fold away my brolly, only to find it stuck to my head. My curly locks were caught in the mechanism and with my new boss staring at me with that “what the hell?” look, I gave it a yank and found freedom. I couldn’t bring myself to look inside it.

As the waitress showed us to our table, I bit my lip to stop from crying out in pain.

For the afternoon, I was sent off to meet various partners I will be working with in the future. When I met one of them, she said I looked familiar. After the “where have you worked game” we found out we went to the same high school and she was a friend of my sisters! Small world. I was thrilled when she suggested, as it was 4:00 o’clock, that we go for tea/coffee. “Divine” I thought to myself.

Tea in one hand, scone in the other, we were walking across the lobby of RBC Plaza, north tower, and I, clearly not paying attention, rounded a large planter and into the end of a very low bench.

Tea, meet floor. Scone, meet floor. Robert, bloody shin included, meet the floor. And let me tell you, there are just as many people in that lobby at that time of day as you would think and none of them were too quick with the help either!

I would have pointed and laughed if it had been someone else (after checking if they were okay first) so I tried to laugh it off. Not wanting to make an even worse impression, I saved pulling up my pant leg for some private time in the bathroom. Not pretty. These pants are definitely going to the dry cleaner.

Shaking it off, I went home looking forward to Thursday night with the boys. A walk over in the rain would clear my head. But no, my Wellingtons kept waking back on my new scabby bruise. So it was more like a limp in the rain with a bald patch on the back of your head……not the best day.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

did we really need to see a picture of your bloody shin? really?
ps: you poor baby!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home